Pandemic Umemployment Benefits – What Rights Do I Have?

End of the Pandemic Unemployment Benefits – What Rights Do I Have?

Which benefits are ending?

DC has had three special unemployment programs that expire September 4, 2021:

  • Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation, or PEUC, extending the time you could receive regular unemployment (“UI”) benefits.
  • Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation, or FPUC, giving an extra $300 per week.
  • Pandemic Unemployment Assistance, or PUA, giving benefits to people who can’t get regular UI.
    Are my unemployment benefits going to stop after September 4, 2021?
  • If you get regular UI, your payments might continue – Please keep filing claims cards!
  • If you get PEUC, your PEUC will stop, but you might start getting regular UI again or you might be eligible for another benefit program – see below!
  • If you get PUA, your payments will stop.
  • The extra $300 per week will stop.
  • Are there any other unemployment benefits I can apply for?
    If you are in the PEUC or regular UI program and you do not get paid after the week ending Sept. 4, 2021, you may be eligible for the week ending Sept. 11, 2021 through another program called Extended Benefits (EB). If this applies to you or you aren’t sure, please apply for EB as soon as your other payments stop at or 202-724-7000.
  • If you think you may be eligible for PUA for weeks ending between December 1, 2020 andSeptember 4, 2021, but haven’t applied yet, you can apply until October 6, 2021.

I think DOES owes me money for past weeks. Can they still pay me?
Yes! DOES has to keep processing all timely- filed claims. If you are still waiting on DOES to make a decision on your claim or to pay you for missing weeks, please keep following up with them at 202-724-7000 or
DOES told me they aren’t going to pay me – what can I do?
You can request a hearing with the Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH).
Get the appeal form at hearing-appeal-determination-claims-examiner- involving-unemployment-benefits or by calling OAH at (202) 442-9094. You can email it to or bring it in person to the Office of Administrative Hearings, 441 Fourth Street NW, Suite 450N, Washington, DC 20001.
Are there any non-UI programs I can apply for to help pay my bills?
Yes! DC residents can apply for SNAP (food stamps), TANF, & Alliance/Immigrant Children’s Program at, via smart phone through District Access App, or in person at a DHS Service Center. You can apply for Medicaid at or by phone at 1-855-532-5465.
You can apply for rental and utility assistance at or 833-478-2932.
*If you receive benefits through these programs, please meet all your reporting requirements, including if your unemployment benefits stop.
**This flyer is based on information available to Legal Aid as of August 20, 2021, and is subject to change.

Need help? Call Legal Aid at (202) 628-1161 or go to

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.