Our Sponsors

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

MPCA Special Meeting August 2016

Michigan Park Citizens Association
Special Meeting
9 August 2016
Ross Auditorium, Providence Hospital

Members and neighbors of Michigan Park Citizens Association met at a special meeting called by President David Conrad to discuss the development of the property surrounding the Saint Joseph’s Seminary and, generally, the planned developments in the neighborhood. Representatives from the developer for Saint Joseph were in attendance.

Other planned developments within Michigan Park include the property of Howard University Divinity School near the corner of Taylor and 14th Streets and  a parking garage just North of the Brookland/CUA Metro Station. Another proposed development, though not within Michigan Park but which may impact the neighborhood is a planned housing development in North Michigan Park.

President Conrad exhibited maps, included below, to display the boundaries of Michigan Park Citizens Association, the ANC Single Member Districts overlapping with our historic neighborhood, the open vs built up properties and the current zoning.

The traditional boundaries of the Michigan Park Citizens Association are overlapped by the administrative boundaries of four Advisory Neighborhood Commissioners.

MPCA ANC-SMD

The built up of constructed dwellings, facilities and business are depicted in the following graphic along with the remaining open spaces of parks (dark green) and institutional land (light green).

MPCA Figure Ground + prime st small

Lastly is the newly revised zoning. The newly approved DCOZ Zoning Handbook may be found at, http://handbook.dcoz.dc.gov/

 

MPCA Zoning w Key

Posted in Events | Leave a comment

Minutes June 2016

Michigan Park Citizens Association
7 June 2016
Ross Auditorium, Providence Hospital

The following DRAFT minutes are subject to review and approval during the next regularly scheduled meeting of the association membership.

Outgoing President Paul Wood opened the meeting and led the members in the Pledge of Allegiance. Paul then introduced and yielded the floor to Incoming President David Conrad.

The May meeting minutes were accepted.

Garden Committee. David recapped the efforts of recent years in plantings and maintenance of the triangle park (12th Street, Shepherd Street, & Michigan Avenue NE) by neighbors. These efforts have been hampered by the lack of a water source within the triangle park.  Lack of a water source remains a constraint. There currently exists a water meter installed by the city, but an estimated $3,000 is needed to install a water spigot.  EYA, contractor for the Saint Joseph Seminary development, has offered to pay the cost. David posed the question whether this proposal should be part of an amenities package for the St Joseph’s Seminary development. David noted that the downside of seeking other funding sources is that another planting season may pass before the required funds are raised. David noted other funding sources include a generous donation of $500.00 from the Greater Brookland Garden Club and possibly another $500.00 grant from the ANC 5B05 (Commissioner John Feeley).  Ms. Sherril Stultz suggested seeking funding from other groups, like 12th Street businesses, that do not have vested interest in the development. Ms. Gwendlyn Means noted other civic associations obtain funding from businesses. Consensus to continue seek additional funding sources.

Federation of Citizens Associations.  MCPA Delegate, Ms. Elizabeth McGowan, noted that the DC Housing Authority’s definition of affordable housing is 30% or less of net income.  Programs for affordable housing include the Federal government’s housing choice voucher program (Section 8) and DC’s inclusionary affordable housing (DC Zoning Commission).  Affordable housing remains a priority of Mayor Muriel Bowser.

Saint Joseph’s Seminary. A new notice to those residing within 200’ of the proposed development was sent. It noted that the Planned Urban Development (PUD) plan will be filed within 45 days. Therefore, the PUD will be field 11 July or later. Leadership will plan for a summer meeting to address the proposal once known.

Howard University Divinity School. Howard University has hired the Urban Land Institute (ULI) to study options for the development of the Howard University Divinity School property.  Toward that end, several members and officers of MCPA have been invited for interviews with ULI on June 21, 2016.

Meeting Venue. David asked members whether members found the current meeting place of Ross Auditorium in Providence Hospital convenient or wished to return to the auditorium at Bunker Hill Elementary.  The consensus was that MPCA will continue to meet in Ross Auditorium as coordination with Providence Hospital was easier than with DCPS.

Christmas Party 2016.  David posed the question whether the first Tuesday of December, our regularly membership meeting time, was too early to celebrate Christmas and perhaps the 2nd Tuesday of the month would be preferred. Discussion followed and members unanimously agreed to Tuesday, December 13, 2016.

September meeting.  A September meeting is optional, but MPCA will plan for a meeting so the meeting room is available if needed, especially given the anticipated ongoing development in the neighborhood.

Call Boxes. Ms. Gwendyln Means noted that four (4) call boxes still existed in the neighborhood and could be used for neighborhood art. They are on 14th and Varnum, 13th and Upshur, 12th and Varnum and 10th Street.

The meeting was adjourned by 9pm.

Posted in Minutes | Leave a comment

June 11th Neighborhood Activities

June 11th was a particularly busy day for neighbors in Michigan Park.

HSC Spring Fair

HSC Spring Fair

The Family & Community Health Expo was held by the HSC Pediatric Center (Spring Fair 2016) at the triangle park near their property (Michigan Avenue, Bunker Hill, & 18th Street).  The event was open to all neighbors and included children’s rides as well as representatives from many health care and non-profit organizations. During the event, representatives of MPCA took turns manning an information table.

MPCA Spring Potluck

MPCA Spring Potluck

Following the June Fair, MPCA celebrated its Spring Potluck in the evening breezes. Graciously hosted by Bob and Lori Moller at their residence, the poolside venue provided a cool respite to the day’s sun.  The potluck is one of two held annually, the other being the Christmas celebration.

Posted in Events | Leave a comment

May 2016 Minutes

Michigan Park Citizens Association
May 3, 2016
Providence Hospital, Ross Auditorium

President Paul Wood opened meeting on May 3, 2016 at 7:20 pm with the Pledge of Allegiance. Minutes for April meeting were approved with corrections. Treasurer Report for April was reported and submitted by Beulah Sutherland.

Outreach

Recommendation by President Wood and Don Looney to hand deliver or mail quarterly or semi-annual newsletter digest, as well as continue with the e-mail and listserv announcements.  The association supported the recommendation in an effort to reach out more to more neighbors and MPCA members.

Garden Committee

April Spring Clean-up – President Wood acknowledged the efforts of Don Looney and Elizabeth McGowan for procuring mulch for the Spring clean up. Don and Elizabeth transported mulch to the park for the Spring cleanup.

Federation of Citizens Association

No Federation meeting in April

Events

Bunker Hill Family Fun day was held on April 30, 2016.  Association recruited one new member. President Wood thanked all volunteers (Roxanne Carter, Barbara Henderson, and Terri Sallay).

Spring Potluck – Saturday, June 4, 2016 5:00pm-8:00pm location is at the Mollers house, 1609 Michigan Avenue NE. Further information to be provided.

June Fair at the HSC – Saturday, June 11, 2016 10:00am-4:00pm.  President Wood to confirm MPCA participation.  Volunteers are needed.

Other Business

Association received a thank you letter from Councilmember McDuffie’s in reference to the condolences sent in the passing of his father.

The association sent a letter of support for San Antonio to have outdoor seating and serving of alcohol.  Letter of support was sent to ANC Commissioner Feeley.  Ralph Bucksell reported that the petition for San Antonio to have outdoor seating and serving of alcohol was approved and passed by all ANC’s and the service will start on May 4, 2016.

Update on Howard University Divinity School development – Maybelle Bennett from Howard University updated the Association on the Howard University East Campus Redevelopment (Howard Divinity School).  Ms. Bennett briefed the association were they were in the process and how the community can participate. The Board of Trustees has selected Urban Land Institute (ULI) to conduct a study.  They stated that the University is not in the sell mode, and the Divinity School building will remain.  Development around the school will be open land to include housing.  There will be input from the community in reference to the development, green space, security and safety, and wildlife.  There will be a panel of experts with no vested interest selected between June 12th and June 17th, with the findings to be provided back to the community.  They will also be interviewing community members for their input and knowledge of community and history.  Anyone who would like to volunteer was asked to sign-up, and they would be contracted in reference to interview process and time.

St. Joseph’s Seminary development.  EYA will be submitting a PUD during the month of May 2016.   Terri Sallay mentioned that the Association should clarify that it hasn’t taken a position on the development.  President Paul Wood, related that it has been stated in previous minutes and there is a notice on the website.  Ralph Bucksell reported to the association on behalf of Vinnie Wohlfarth that there was posting on the Brookland Bill board on Newton St. and 12th in reference to the Association voting on a position to the development.  Kathleen Sutherland mentioned that the Association reiterate or restate that the Association has not taken a position on the St. Joseph’s Seminary development.  President Paul Wood will reach out to the relevant ANC Commissioners and Councilmember McDuffie to reiterate that MPCA has not taken a position on the Seminary site development.

Nominating Committee submitted officer slate for MPCA 2016-2017 election as follows:

President – David Conrad
1st. Vice-President – Roxanne Carter
2nd Vice-President – Don Looney
Treasurer – Beulah Sutherland
Secretary – Paul Wood
At-Large Members – Ralph Bucksell,  Anne Gribbins, Barbara Henderson, Terri Sallay
Sergeant-at-Arms – Vacant
Membership Secretary – Vacant

Council Member Kenyan McDuffie –  Diamond Wade from councilmembers McDuffie’s office reported to the Association.  Ms. Wade was to check with the Constituent Services Representative in reference to assistance on the Park at 12th and Shepherd St. N.E. and  request for water spigot.

Meeting Adjourned at 8:28pm

Posted in Minutes | 1 Comment

MPCA Picnic 11 June

Please join neighbors for our Spring Potluck hosted by Bob and Lori Moller, 1609 Michigan Avenue NE, Saturday, June 11th, 5-7pm.  The Moller’s house is on the corner of Michigan and South Dakota, behind the bus stop.  The event is a potluck, so bring a dish of your choosing.  Great opportunity to meet your neighbors outside of our regular business meetings.

RSVP with an email to michiganpark@gmail.com. Please note your choice of dish – appetizer, salad, main dish or dessert.  Drinks and flatware provided.

MPCA Flyer bw

 

Posted in Events | Leave a comment

April 2016 Minutes

Michigan Park Citizens Association
April 5, 2016
Ross Auditorium, Providence Hospital

Meeting began at 7:18pm.
Vice President, Roxanne Carter, led with Pledge of Allegiance.

Minutes for the March meeting were read by David Conrad. One correction to the minutes noted was the date of the meeting recently held with Chief Cathy Lanier. The correct meeting date was March 24, 2016. The March meeting minutes were approved.

No Treasurer’s report was provided due to the absence of the treasurer.

Old Business:

  1. EYA development: Don Looney contacted Tai Meah (Senior Legislative Counsel)regarding the redevelopment of the Josephites property. Mr. Looney stated that he believed Ms. Meah was misinformed because she indicated that she thought the ‘deal was done’, however, until the zoning process is complete, the deal is not complete.  Mr. Looney also indicated that ‘word on the street’ is that Mayor Bowser wants the deal completed and that Councilman McDuffie is not willing to publicly oppose the development.
  2. Spigot at park: David Conrad stated that there is possible funding for this project from the Greater Brookland Garden Club. Approximately $2000 is needed to complete the project and we should contact GBGC for assistance. He indicated that Mary Pat Rowan (GBGC) and Jeff Feeley (ANC5B05) may be able to contribute funds to the project. Ralph Bucksell will make a formal request to contribute funds. Per Ralph B, Jeff Feeley has a total of $500 of ‘excess’ funds to contribute. There was also a recommendation from the floor to possibly ask Ursula for funding as well since it benefits both communities. David Conrad will confirm the dollars needed for the project. And he also stated that he has received no response or communications from DPR or McDuffie’s rep (Diamond Wade). The Association should also draft a letter addressed to McDuffie’s office, Vincent Orange and David Grasso.
  3. Joint Meeting with Queens Chapel Civic Association and Chief Cathy Lanier: Roxanne reported that the meeting with Chief Lanier went well and was well attended by both civic associations. School security and recent neighborhood crime were addressed. There is an increased police presence at the schools since the joint meeting.

New Business:

  1. Nominating Committee provided the slate for 2016.
    1. President: David Conrad
    2. 
1st VP: Roxanne Carter
    3. 
2nd VP: Don Looney
    4. 
Secretary/Membership: Paul Wood
    5. 
Treasurer: Beulah Sutherland
    6. 
At Large: Barbara Henderson, Anne Gribbins, Ralph Bucksell, 1 open seat
    7. Sergeant at arms: Open
    8. Herald: Open

The Association needs to review the bylaws for any changes to titles and positions such as the joint position of Secretary and Membership chair. The nominating committee will meet before the May general meeting.

  1. Bunker Hill E.S. community fair to be held on April 30th from 1pm to 4pm. One of the counselors at the school (Linda Davis) asked for the association’s participation at the event. The purpose of this event is to inform parents about community organizations and neighborhood groups. It was approved that the association would participate and send volunteers to the event.
  2. Federation Report: Elizabeth McGowan reported that the last meeting was held on March 22nd. Dorothy Brazil was a speaker and indicated concern about the Board of Elections, specifically that the board is in flux and not all members have the credentials to do the work. There is much concern about the upcoming June 14th primary elections and she wanted to alert all civic associations. There is anxiety that DC officials are not prepared with adequate facilities, supplies and resource support for the elections.
  3. EYA property development: Vinnie Wolfarth reported that Paul asked for a taskforce for EYA and that EYA is waiting for comments from neighbors and residents on the development. EYA is submitting its 1st plan to zoning on May 1st. Approximately 95‐110 homes are currently planned. There is an opportunity to request to keep the development to north of Webster Street. Vinnie met with an architectural historian for a DC law firm to show the updated documents. Vinnie is soliciting as many comments as possible on the EYA development and wants to submit comments to the EYA task force before the May 1st zoning meeting. There was a recommendation from the floor that Paul send an email to all association members to request their feedback and comments on the EYA development by April 8th.
  4. San Antonio Grill. The Association had previously voted and approved support for outside liquor services for San Antonio Grill. This was brought to the membership body again and was reaffirmed and approved. Ralph B. will draft a letter of support that will be signed by Paul.

Meeting adjourned at 8:55 pm

Posted in Minutes | Leave a comment

2016 Membership Fees Due

Please forward your 2016 membership due of $10 to the MPCA Treasurer:

Ms. Beulah Sutherland
1300 Allison Street NE
Washington, DC 20017

We realize that not everyone regularly attends the monthly meetings. Contributing your membership fee goes a long way in covering our administrative costs, like this website, as well as our park plantings and support of Bunker Hill Elementary.

Thank you

President

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Family Fun Fair

Bunker Hill Elementary, 4401 Michigan Avenue NE, will host a Family Fun Fair coordinated by Playworks on Saturday, 30 April 2016, from 1:00 to 4:00 pm.

Family Fun Fair

Posted in Events | Leave a comment

March 2016 Minutes

Michigan Park Citizens Association
March 1, 2016
Ross Auditorium in Providence Hospital.

  1. Roxanne Carter opened the meeting the pledge of allegiance.
  2. Minutes of previous meetings:
    a. Roxanne read the December minutes. December minutes approved.
    b. Kathleen Sutherland read the February minutes.  Item to add: Roxanne Carter purchased Christmas gifts of clothes and educational items for 4 children from 3 families who attend Bunker Hill Elementary School. With this addition the February minutes were approved.
  3. Treasurer Report. Beulah Sutherland read and submitted the treasurers report. She will send a pdf copy to David Conrad for inclusion in the record.
    a. Robert Oliver offered information of IRS rules that allow organizations with annual budgets or assets under $5,000 to act as non-profit organizations without applying for 501c3 status. He will forward documentation.
  4. MPCA Nominating Committee 2016/17: 3 members are required. Don Looney, Paul Wood, Vinnie Wohlfarth and Barbara Henderson were nominated for the committee. Roxanne Carter will contact Paul and Vinnie about their willingness to serve on the nominating committee.  The election of officers for the coming year is scheduled for May 3, 2016.
  5. MPCA and Queens Chapel Civic Association are jointly sponsoring a community meeting with MPD Chief Cathy Lanier. The meeting is scheduled on 10 March 2016,
    7:00 PM, at Wesley AME Zion Church 1860 Michigan Ave NE Washington DC 2001.
  6. Shepherd Street Park:
    a. Spring Clean Up at the Shepherd Street Park scheduled for 23 April.
    b. David reported that there is no news on DPR/DGS willingness to install the yard     hydrant at the park.
    c. Ralph B suggested the Greater Brookland Garden Club might be persuaded to contribute some funds for the installation. He will contact the club to inquire.
  7. MPCA Spring Picnic Scheduled for June 4, 2016.
  8. Federation of Citizens Associations: Elizabeth M. reported on the last meeting of the federation.
    a. Pepco/Excelon merger opposed.
    b. Donovan Anderson ANC and also of the Alcohol Control Board made a presentation to the federation. The Control now has inspectors on a 7 day/3 shift rotation. MPCA if it so wishes could be placed on the Control Board notification lists. Hot line for Alcohol Control Board Related Complaints: 202 329 634.
  9. Council Member McDuffie’s office was represented by Diamond Wade.
    a. NEAR (Neighborhood Engagement Achieves Results) Amendent Act of 2016 has passed a second reading by the City Council. The NEAR Act takes a public health approach to crime prevention. More information is available on the council members website. http://www.kenyanmcduffie.com.
    b. Chanell Autrey Legislative Counsel is the contact person in the McDuffie office on this matter. Her email contact: Cautery@dccouncil.us
  10. Josephites Seminary Property:
    a.  There was extended discussion of the value of the play field on the Joshephites Seminary Property to the community. Acknowledging that the property is currently private land the notion of the city acquiring the property with the intent of preserving the open space for public use as a park was broached.
    b.  Diamond Wade suggested Tai Meah Senior Legislative Counsel of the McDuffie office might have procedural and other information of use.
  11. Brookland Middle School:
    a. Security continues to be a significant problem.
    b. Students are harassing and even assaulting fellow students after school. Drug dealing occurs at the DPR playgrounds.
    c. Marijuana smoking and dealing is prevalent.
    d. There have been incidents of students harassing and threatening neighborhood adults.
    e. Police action and enforcement appears absent.
    f. These issues will be raised at the 10 March meeting with Chief Lanier.
  12. MPCA membership: The meeting with Chief Lanier seems to be an opportune moment to promote MPCA membership. Roxanne C will make an announcement at the community meeting.
  13. Meeting adjourned at 8:45PM
Posted in Minutes | Leave a comment